Saturday, March 27, 2010

First Project: Turn the Built-in Into a China Cabinet, Phase 1

I've already started one of the projects on my Hit List, which is converting one of the built-in cabinet/shelving units into a functional china cabinet. Since my entire living and dining room area is open I don't have much wall space and my nice antique china cabinet is languishing in my bedroom as a bookshelf. Don't get me wrong, it's doing a great job!

Here's a picture of the before:




It's stuffed full of books and crap that I don't need or use. I cleaned it out, wiped all the dust off and transferred the books to another built-in on the other side of the room that's not quite as visible from the main living areas of the house.

It also housed bags of cat food, dog food and cat litter in the bottom which have all been transferred to buckets in the laundry room. Maybe now the cats will stop trying to get in the cabinet in the middle of the night.








Here's a shot of the cabinet all cleaned and dusted with the three Easter sentinels standing guard. I love these guys! The pig, rabbit and cow all have knitted sweaters on. (I have a rooster too, but I can't seem to find him.) They were given as a gift to my daughter when she was 2, so I have no idea where they came from.









Here we have a mostly empty cabinet with a few knick-knacks for decoration until the transformation is complete. The plan is to put bead board on the back wall of the cabinet and paint it white. I also have to make a plate lip or rail of some sort or use plate stands. I think I'll probably end up with plate stands.

The "decorative" glass may also be coming out of the doors and be replaced with clear glass. It appears to be held in with nothing more than hot glue, so I'm going to take a door off and put the hair dryer to it to see what happens. I think the cabinet handles on the bottom may stay.

Lucky for me the bottom cabinet is just deep enough for wine bottles. Guess what's going in the bottom cabinet? Maybe the cats won't stay out after all.                                                                                                 


Odds and ends, pictures and stuff I've collected over the years. The baby pictures at right are of my eleven year old daughter.  The jars of glass were pieces she and a friend found in a creek during a recent trip to Lebanon, OH to visit. You wouldn't believe the stuff they found!












Beautiful jars of broken glass. This is just a small portion of what they found. The canning jar was a gift from the friend we visited in Ohio, and the apothecary jar was a 50 cent thrift store find.




Some of the salt and pepper collection that I was recently bequeathed.  I also got a custom made shelf that they were all displayed on. It's massive and I'm not sure my walls can hold it. 





That's it for Phase 1. As soon as I get my hands on some bead board I'll be getting to work on the final step. I think it will be a fantastic transformation!

Linked over at Between Naps on the Porch for Metatmorphosis Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Foiling cats seems to occupy a lot of people's time--ha.

    I spent my first 36 years in Brookhaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats are wiley creatures. Nice to "meet" another Mississipi girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning to use spell check would also be beneficial. ://

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...