Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Fling

Every year about this time I start cleaning out my flower beds. I take down all the spent annuals, dig up the weeds I allowed to run amok all summer and start putting out perennials for early bloom. Every year I cuss myself because it got too hot to stay on top of the crabgrass and Bermuda grass that invaded the beds and vow to do better next year. This year was no different.

I've decided to grow more year-round interest plants. I'm not big on shrubs, but I'm going to do some research and find some evergreens that don't get ridiculously huge and will blend well with perennials and roses. Ornamental grasses are another option that I'm planting between some of the perennials for late summer, fall and winter interest. I have also found a good variety of perennials that will bloom in the fall or that will bloom all summer until first frost.  Once many of the summer bloomers are done, I'm left with dead stalks and bare ground.  Winter can be very bleak here without something nice to look at, especially since it doesn't snow much.

I have an entire bed of roses to relocate. Several of the roses I planted didn't make it simply because they are too far from the house to water and I forget about them. It's my fault, but they are being interspersed with the perennials so they can be tended a little better. Their current home will host spring bulbs like daffodils, muscari and snowdrops and be planted with low-mow and low water varieties of native grasses like buffalograss and sheep fescue.  I'm sick of tending crabgrass and Bermuda grass. They are weeds as far as I'm concerned, and I don't want them any more.

I promise to get back with pictures as soon as I find my memory card and charge the batteries in the camera. For now, here's one of my front flower bed.

Echinacea and liatris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...