Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Last night's cooking adventures

I decided to go ahead and try some of the recipes I posted about yesterday. I made jambalaya and it turned out great! I had to modify the ingredients slightly because I didn't have some of the seasonings on hand that I needed.

I used Mrs Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend because it had all the seasonings I needed. I ended up using nutmeg instead of cloves to tone down the bright flavors of the peppers, and it really could have used a touch more. It gave the dish a deeper and somewhat sweeter flavor. I used low sodium or "no salt added" everything, so it also needed a little salt. All in all, it was very good.

I even took some to work today for lunch.

I also made banana bread and subsituted 1/2 cup of the flour with 1/4 each of ground rolled oats and wheat flour. It was a nice mid-morning snack to tide me over until lunch. I modified the banana bread recipe from Joy of Cooking if anyone is interested.

Tonight I'm working on the hummus and oat crackers for mid-morning and afternoon snacks. It's really hard being at work and having a snack attack with nothing on hand but what I can pull out of the vending machines!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...