Friday, February 25, 2011

Pictures!

I know how much everyone in the blogosphere loves pictures, so here are some to go along with this post.

Jambalaya! 

I was really pleased with the way this turned out, other than the minor tweaks mentioned in the other post. I also added a few pieces of jalapeno smoked sausage for extra flavor.


Hummus
I omitted tahini (sesame seed paste) because I didn't have any and sesame is a really strong flavor. The beans and red peppers gave it just enough flavor. This was great with my lunch today.  I had a tuna salad sandwich and celery sticks dipped in this hummus with banana bread for dessert.

Banana Bread
I guesstimated at the amount of butter I needed and undershot it just a bit. I also generally replace some of the fat with apple sauce, which I was out of. I tweaked this recipe with ground oatmeal and wheat flour, so apple sauce would have made it more moist and would have been pretty essential. It wasn't bad, but I could definitely tell a difference in the texture with the addition of wheat flour and oatmeal.

Oatmeal Crackers
As promised, here are the oatmeal crackers I made. I needed to roll them out a bit thinner and make sure they are all close to the same thickness before baking. Amazingly, these taste just like a Triscuit, only a little thicker, with the texture of a thin crunchy cookie. I think they will be delicious with the hummus.

All in all I'm happy with how everything turned out, but a couple of things needed tweaking either in the recipe or the technique I used. I will definitely try different versions of the oatmeal crackers to see if I can sweeten them up and maybe add some pecans or other nuts for a semi healthy option to cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...