Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recipes to try

My family and I have decided to start eating healthier and getting more exercise. Part of that is cooking more homemade meals and finding healthier alternatives to things we love.

Any type of cuisine is a go in my house, but especially Cajun and Mexican inspired dishes. We love spicy food! Up until now I've bought a pre-mixed jambalaya kit at the grocery store, but I finally looked at the nutrition info. The sodium content alone was enough to make me put it back.

Instead, I'm going to try one of these recipes:

Healthy Jambalaya from Calorie King

Healthy Jambalaya from SparkRecipes

I found several others that claimed to be "healthy" but these two had lower sodium and fat content than the other recipes I was able to find. Try one and let me know what you think!

Other things I'm trying my hand at this week include Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas, Homemade Oatmeal Crackers, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Oatmeal Pancakes. I buy oatmeal (rolled oats) in bulk and try to have it for breakfast at least 3 days a week. I add a little brown sugar, raisins, dried cranberries and chopped apples for flavor and extra nutrition. That and my coffee really get me going in the morning.

What recipes are you trying this week?

SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life
SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, those sound good! I keep trying to go in a healthier direction, but the weather's been so cold and gray lately all I want is to eat junk food.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...