Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spring 2011 - Part II

In Style's Spring 2011 trends include:
  • Bright colors - Yes.
  • Menswear - No. I have several suits already, but I'm not going out and getting blocky suits with shoulder pads. I haven't worn shoulder pads since the 80's and don't intend to ever do so again.
  • Seventies - Maybe. It depends on whether or not I have something suitable in my wardrobe already.
  • White - I already have lots of this.
  • Lace - Probably not. I have a couple of pieces that have small lace or eyelet accents, but that's about as far as I take it.
  • Sporty - What I've seen so far is either preppy, or things like drawstrings and sweatpants prettied up in an attempt to make them stylish. Sweatpants and heels don't mix, I don't care what J. Crew or any fashion magazine says.
  • Modern Metallics - Sparingly. I have a metallic purse and some metallic sandals. That's about it for me.
  • Florals - Maybe. I tend to avoid these because I just don't like floral prints on my clothing.
Elle:
  • Denim/Chambray - YES! I have a nice dressy chambray skirt already picked out.
  • Building Blocks - Again with the color-block. I think I'll just stick to bright colors.
  • Eastern Front - I'm pretty sure this includes harem pants. No thanks.
  • Into the Wild - Animal prints. I might spring for a pair of snake sandals.
  • Lace Race - Again, no.
  • Sheer Bliss - Can't wear to work, and I don't really enjoy see through clothes for the most part.
  • Down to Business - Men'swear inspired, again. I already have plenty of this, but in a more feminine vein.
  • That 70's Show
  • Punk'd - Not really my thing.
  • Prints Charming - Bold prints, again. Nah.
Basically, if you were old enough to have a "wardrobe" in the 70's you should have saved your clothes.

In the last 10 years or so, the basic building blocks of my wardrobe haven't changed that much. I don't usually tend to follow fads or trends and have built my wardrobe with basic, classic pieces I can wear forever. Well, not forever, but you know what I mean. It has gotten pretty boring, in my opinion, and I'm really trying to spice it up a little.

As a rule, the fashion industry has little to do with my self image or what I like to wear. While I love reading fashion magazines and looking at what everyone else is wearing, I pretty much go my own way. I hate the impossible beauty standards imposed on women, but looking at clothes is fun for me.

As long as I don't get caught up in the bullshit, I'll continue to read fashion blogs, occasionally look at fashion magazines and keep (mostly window) shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...