Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gardening...Bee?

I've often thought about how much fun it would be to have a friend (other than my wonderful fella Lonnie) who liked to garden, who would come over and dig in the dirt with me and I would do likewise for her. Apparently someone else thinks it's a great idea too! Some have even managed to make it a reality.

My local garden club is made up primarily of upper/middle class housewives who frequent the country club. (How else do you explain the two hour luncheons in the middle of the day? Who has time for that? I can't afford to take two hours off work for lunch.)  This is not to say they are bad people, not at all. I know most of them and they are great folks, but I have no desire to hang out with the country club crowd. I'm also not a Republican, I don't go to church, and I generally don't adhere to Genteel Southern Society's Rules for Ladies. I doubt I'm getting an invitation any time soon, and I'm ok with that.

But how fun would it be to have brunch with your girlfriends and then work in their yard for a couple of hours? Sort of like a gardening bee (think quilting bee). Every weekend or every other weekend (once a month?) someone else gets a turn to host brunch and get their flower beds groomed, plucked, mulched, and planted.

I guess for now my gardening group activities will have to be confined to the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...