Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spring garden plans

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are tightening the household belt. I've spent the last five years trying to bring a dream to fruition by starting a cut flower business and it has nearly drained my finances. As a result, I'm reworking and relocating some of the flower beds to make room for a vegetable garden.

I planted two small areas in cover crops last fall with the intention of growing flowers there. The timing of shutting down my business and the recent spike in oil prices led to the change in plans. I know fresh produce, and groceries in general, are going to sykrocket soon.

One area is separate (about 10'x20') and the other area (about 6'x15') is integrated into an existing flower bed. They both have had other crops planted there, and the soil has been tilled and amended. I will have to create a small raised bed for carrots because the clay soil here is extremely unforgiving. Root crops are best served in a raised bed of rich, soft, rock-free soil.

Even though I have 8 acres, there isn't much room in my yard for vegetable gardens. Most of the usable space is taken up by flower beds, and the rest is sloped, shady, too far from the water source or otherwise unsuitable for vegetable production. I plan to use an intensive gardening method known as Square Foot Gardening to maximize space and reduce the need for weeding.

My preliminary list:
  • Four types of lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Carrots
  • Paste and slicing tomatoes
  • Lima beans, snow peas
  • Herbs!
  • Onions
  • Cucumbers
  • Melons
  • Peppers
What are you growing this year? Stop by the forums and tell us about it!

All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space! One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...