Sunday, April 17, 2011

My roses

I've never been a big fan of roses. As a gardener I'd always been a plant-once-and-done type of girl, but as I get older I find that I'm more willing to nurture things that need a little more care. Up until five years ago, I'd never lived somewhere long enough to get roses established and really watch them flourish. I have also discovered that there are two camps of gardeners as far as roses are concerned. There are those who love them and those who hate them. I used to be in the "hate" camp.

When I first moved into my house there were two plants, other than the sawtooth oaks and apple trees, that had been planted in the yard on purpose. One was a miniature rose that didn't live long and the other was an unnamed variety of red rose that has survived being mowed down, eaten and generally mistreated. See the first sentence of this post if you're wondering why.

Enter the rose.

The aforementioned red rose that was planted in the middle of the yard by the previous owner? Turned out to be TWO rose bushes planted in the same hole. I have no idea how that happened, but I decided to dig it up last year and move it to a spot where it can get a little more care. The other one went home with my bff, Daphne. I haven't asked her how it's doing yet, but she loves roses, so I have to assume it's thriving.

Since the move, it has put on tons of new leaf growth, and I think I even saw a bud or two the other day. I didn't cut it back before moving it because I thought the added stress would just be too much. I guess I was right because it looks great!

Other roses in my garden:

Eden Climber
Eden Climber (aka Pierre de Ronsard)


New Day
New Day


Pascali
Pascali

Angel Face
Angel Face

Double Knock-out
Double Knock-out


    My Eden Climber was the only thing that did well last year during the horrible drought and heatwave we had. We had more than 2 weeks above 100 with no rain. It was an awful year and I lost a lot of perennials because of it. Eden was watered and fertilized regularly and I believe I will be rewarded this year. I have her climbing on an arbor with two different clematis, and the color and texture contrast of the flowers will be spectacular!

    I guess I can say without reserve that I'm now officially hooked on growing roses.

    If you don't have a good nursery nearby, find one here:

    Rose Roses

    If you would like to see more blooms, head over and see Carol at May Dreams Gardens for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

    4 comments:

    1. Hi Jen,

      First very nice blog, nice layout etc. Second, see how good you are with roses. Even at first you didn't like them. My favorite pic is the angel face one then the new day one. Found you on blotancial.com Happy Gardening:)

      Tony

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm in the "love them" camp. So glad you now love roses! Looks like yours are thriving, so you must be doing something right.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks, Tony and HolleyGarden! I don't regret adding roses to my garden. They certainly seem happy to be here.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Gorgeous pictures! I myself have an on again-off again relationship with roses. Vegetables have taken center stage in our family!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...