Friday, September 2, 2011

Pencil Skirt Love

I LOVE PENCIL SKIRTS. They are flattering, can be worn any time of year with the appropriate accessories, and you can pull just about any top out of your closet to wear with one. They can also be paired with a skinny belt, a wide belt, and just about any number of shoes or boots of your choice.

The search for the perfect pencil skirt for Fall inevitably leads one to the J. Crew catalog.

Pencil Skirt Love



Even for a classic piece of wardrobe staple in such mouth-wateringly delicious colors, I cannot drop $120. Not even when I find I have extra money in the bank account. It just isn't going to happen. I am, however, perfectly capable of sewing a pencil skirt. I even have the perfect pattern! Because I already have the pattern, all I have to do is find the fabric, lining, thread and zipper.

Fabric can be tricky. Because I sit at a desk most of the day, I can't really use anything that wrinkles or looks like it's been wadded in a corner after five minutes of wear. This pretty much leaves out all linen, rayon and 100% cotton. I really have an affinity for the silk/poly/wool blend tweeds and gabardines, but some can be a bit heavy and thus bulky and really warm when sewn. What I end up getting is usually a lightweight blend of one or more of those fibers.

Pencil Skirt Fabric Choices



Fabric and supplies for one skirt will run anywhere from $8-15 depending on how much yardage I need, and whether or not I have to purchase thread. That's at least ten pencil skirts for the price of one, and I can make sure it actually fits me.

I have one skirt made already, but I have to go back and redo the hem. I don't like the way it looks, and even though no one else is likely to notice, I'm not going to rest until the hem looks the way I want it to.

In other sewing news, I cut out a really pretty blouse from some ivory silk charmeuse I purchased nearly two years ago. I fell in love with the fabric when I found it on Fashion Fabrics Club's web site, and it's been languishing in my "to sew" pile since then. I'm not a nail biter, but I'm almost to that point now. Luckily real silk has some grip to it, so I hope I don't feel like I'm trying to sew two greased pigs together. We shall see.

Pics will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...