Saturday, December 1, 2012

Latest project: Chalkboard wall calendar in the kitchen

I just finished a quick and easy project that I've wanted to do for a while now!

Before:
 

 After:
 

For a couple of years now I've been trying to come up with a solution for the wall by the fridge. I wanted a calendar or dry erase board for keeping up with our schedules, important dates, grocery lists, etc. I went with a chalkboard wall because it just "fits" with the rest of the house so well. And who doesn't like to write on the wall?

This was a very easy project. The wall was already primed and painted with two coats of paint, so I simply painted over it with two coats of chalkboard paint ($15 at Lowe's) and a small roller. I measured and drew off 5" boxes (7 across by 5 down) with the level, yardstick and a pencil and then checked it from across the kitchen. Five inches square should be plenty of room. It's far from perfect, but it is just what I wanted and very functional.

The calendar was drawn on with a permanent paint pen and yardstick and the lettering was done with a small stencil set. I recommend drawing everything out with a pencil FIRST before you commit to the permanent paint pen. It's easier to make corrections with a pencil. I had to go back and touch up with the chalkboard paint and a cotton swab in a couple of places where I dinged it with the level, but it won't be noticeable after it dries completely.

I debated on whether to start with Monday or Sunday, and chose Monday. I like the weekends together on a calendar, but I can paint over it later if I decide I don't like it. I also decided to use chalk markers instead of chalk, because our house is dusty enough already. I haven't written anything on the wall as of yet, but I think a nice set of colorful chalk markers will do the trick.

Supplies for this project:

  • Chalkboard paint
  • Painters tape
  • Permanent paint pen
  • Letter stencils (optional)
  • Chalk or chalk markers 

Tools needed:
  • Yardstick and/or tape measure 
  • Paint brushes, roller, edging sponge or brush
  • Pencil 
  • Level

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...