Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year! A fresh start for 2013

Happy New Year, everyone! Is it really 2013 already?

I've decided not to make resolutions this year. Making a promise to myself I may not be able to keep makes me feel guilty and feel like I've failed in some way. So, I'm making goals instead. Big picture goals with smaller "mile marker" goals are much easier to achieve, and you actually feel a sense of accomplishment when you can check that smaller goal off the list.

At the top of my list is organization. This is a big deal for me. I am the kind of person who cannot form a new habit, it seems. I can consistently do something for several weeks, and then I just stop. It annoys me to no end, and I really have to stay on top of things to keep the house at least presentable.

I have found the key to organization is...well, organizing things in a manner that makes sense to you. If you always have to walk across the kitchen to get something that should be where you need it, move it to where you need it. If something isn't working in your system, change the system instead of adapting to something that annoys you or wastes your time. Easier said than done, huh?

My spare room is atrocious right now. I mean, it's embarrassing. It's actually a nice room, but I have so much junk in there, I can't use it for what I would like. I would like it to be a craft room and/or spare bedroom. It won't have a bed, but leaving enough room in the floor for an air mattress is the goal.

Second on the list is finishing up our home improvement projects. Our back deck needs a roof, several light fixtures in the house need replacing, I need to paint several rooms, wallpaper my hallway, get some photos framed and hung, rip up the carpet throughout most of the house and replace it with hard flooring....the list goes on. Most of it will require a more time and money than I have at present, so it's a matter of saving the money and getting it done.

Which brings me to my third and final goal for the year: saving money. This is going to be a tough one, considering all the projects we need to finish up. I'd also like to take a vacation, but that may not be realistic either. I'll likely spend a lot of my vacation days this year working on things I don't have time to do during the work week and don't feel like sacrificing my weekends to do.

Naturally, these goals may be modified, added to, changed or even scrapped depending on what the year brings. I'd like to get EVERYTHING done, but I don't foresee that happening.

So, what are your goals for the year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...