Monday, October 26, 2015

Beautiful Monday - Red Lipstick: Redux

I'm trying out a new series to make your Mondays a little brighter called Beautiful Monday. With my schedule, I'll need to write a few at a time and post-date them. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see, e-mail me.

Remember this post? Yeah, me neither!


Red lips are something I don't do very often. I have, however, been playing with different shades of red to find one I really like. Turns out, I like more than one. I always thought I couldn't wear red lipstick, mostly due to the crap advice I kept getting from fashion magazines: "An orange-red shade looks great on everyone!" No, it doesn't. 

I used to feel like Morticia Addams when I wore red lipstick, but I just don't care any more. I do what I like and other people don't have to like it. The benefits of approaching middle age, I suppose? Besides, Morticia is stunning, and has a wicked wit.


(Credit: Link)


You CAN make a warmer toned red work, but you also have to change the tone of your other makeup so it doesn't clash. A dab of your foundation + a little of your chosen lip color makes a nice cream blush, which is better for aging or dry skin.  Some people just don't look good in orange. It's not a personal failing, it's just one of those things that IS. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, finding the right shade of red was pretty easy.

L to R: Covergirl Tempt, Maybelline On Fire Red, L'Oreal True Red, M.A.C. Russian Red, Maybelline Plum Perfect

I have three go-to shades:

M.A.C. Russian Red - This is a matte, red lipstick with a slight blue tint. Works on my fair skin that usually requires cool colors, and it smells like CHOCOLATE. Who doesn't want chocolate under their nose all day? I have also used as a "stain" with a bit of clear gloss if I didn't want to go full vamp. It's deeply pigmented and very rich.

L'oreal True Red - This is a bit brighter, but also works great on my cool, fair skin. It says "coral red" in the online description, but it's not an overly orange shade. Looking at On Fire Red and True Red side by side, they look pretty darn close. The packaging and label on the bottom would have you believe otherwise.



Maybelline Plum Perfect - Dark and moody. I like this one for nights and weekends. It's good for Halloween too!

Looking at Tempt, I should maybe wear it more often. It's pretty perfect for my skin tone! (Discontinued by the mfr.)

All of these shades were purchased at Walgreen's, with the exception of Russian Red, which I ordered from M.A.C.

Sometimes I opt for a pink lip, when I'm not in the mood for red. My skin tone is such that purple toned lipsticks look pink-ish when I put them on. Most days I don't wear a lot of makeup. Usually BB cream and mascara, if anything. I don't know if menopause is creeping up on me,  or the changing season has interrupted my sleep schedule. I'm lucky to get out the door with a shower.

Tips for putting on red lips:

-Get a lip brush and learn how to use it by practicing. Red lips need to be put on with precision, because every little wobble shows. Don't color outside the lines with red lipstick or liner. It looks ridiculous. Seriously.
-Get a lip liner that matches your chosen shade. It will help keep lipstick creep from happening. If you have fine lines or wrinkles around your mouth, your lipstick will end up there.
-Moisturize your lips before applying. Use a good lip ointment and let it sit for a few minutes. Wipe it off, or GENTLY rub a cotton swab over any rough areas to remove them.
-Apply one coat of lipstick, blot, apply another coat, blot and then any gloss you want. I've always used the "powder through a tissue" method to help set my lipstick. I've found that the "all day" lip stains dry my lips out terribly.
-Red lipstick can be used as a stain if you don't want to go full vamp. Apply a coat and let it sit, then blot most of it off and apply a gloss.

You may or may not have noticed the unsightly purple scar in the middle of those swatches. It looks like I slipped with the lipstick, but I promise it's a healed scratch. It's all this one's fault.




Her name is Stormy and she's approaching twelve weeks old. Naturally, she's full of it. It's been a while since we had a kitten in the house, and nothing is safe.  (Quilt)

Notice: Clicking on links in this post may result in an affiliate commission being paid to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...